Crypto-mining is a joy hobby. Ter this article I will take a detailed look at building a mining equipment on a budget, what hardware to avoid and how to build quick&dirty. Let the joy start!
There are slew of “build a mining rig” guides out there, but most of them lack pictures so I documented the building process. Since I have built Trio other equipments, the entire process took about 30 minutes. If you are fresh to this I expect this will take you about 1 hour to Two hours tops. Make sure you have everything close by, including a drilling machine and all the power cables.
ASUS motherboards with Trio PCIe x1 and Two PCIe x16 slots are the best, but since wij’re on a budget I would recommend the ASUS M5A97. If you don’t mind spending a bit more, the A88X Plus is the best mining houtvezelplaat for 5-card equipments. I dont recommend 6 card mining equipments because they are not stable enough. I couldn’t find any high-quality boards that support 6 cards. There are some available but from bad manufacturers. Stay away from Intel and ASRock!
- Graphic cards (Four cards for petite basket, Five cards for fatter basket) – $400 to $650
- ASUS Motherboard M5A97 – $60 on ebay
- Cheap puny basket (for petite R7 cards: 30 x 40 x 21 cm) – $20 on Amazon
- Screwdriver, drilling machine with petite drilling bit, hammer, screws, 1 plow – $20 on ebay
- 2x USB riser cables (PCIe x1 to PCIe 16x) – $Ten+ on ebay
- 2x PCIe x1 riser cables (non-powered is fine!) – $Five on ebay
- Add2PSU adapter – $20, ebay
- Two PSUs 650 to 700W bronze certified- $80 each
Total costs: $630 to $880 for a 4-card equipment with welgevoeglijk hashing power.
Warning: You should never buy cheap PSUs. Make sure they are at the very least bronze 80 certified for best efficiency.
A Note On PSUs: Enermax and Coolermaster
I recommend buying only Coolermaster OR Enermax. Also, you dont need 800W PSUs. A 650W spil a “support” PSU and a 700W PSU to power the motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD and two other cards is sufficient. I’d go spil far spil and say that even that is overpowered.
Avoid Intel, ASRock, Buy ASUS and AMD
To save money I bought Two cheap 7950’s cards from ebay for 100 bucks each and Two of the cheapest R7 cards with sufficient hashing power for my requests from Amazon. The mainboards I stringently do not recommend when on a budget is *any* ASRock houtvezelplaat, including the ASRock H81 Professional BTC 1150. This houtvezelplaat is of the cheapest quality and not worth the trouble. Buy ASUS and AMD only. Avoid Intel at all costs for any mining equipment.
Motherboard te Basket:
1. Step Waterput the mainboard te the basket and connect it with PSU1. Don’t leave behind to connect the CPU power cable spil well.
Two. Step Connect the PCI riser cables to your cards. One for testing is sufficient now.
Connecting Add2PSU (PSU1+Two):
Trio. Step Connect the big fat motherboard power cable from your 2nd PSU (PSU2) with the Add2PSU houtvezelplaat spil seen below. Again, the cable from the 2nd PSU!
Four. Step Connect a molex power connector from PSU1 (the PSU that you used te step 1) with the Add2PSU houtvezelplaat, spil seen below. This will connect your two PSUs so they can power the entire equipment.
Five. Step Closeup, confirm everything fits tightly:
Very first Test: Check LED + Ventilatoren
6. Step Add a graphic card now. My basket is a little petite for the thicker graphic cards but thats actually an advantage ter this case because I dont have to use a bang or screw to fix it, the weight of the card will take card of that. Connect the PCIe power cables with your card.
7. Step Time to test everything. Turn the PSU on and if you connected everything correctly, the LED on the mainboard should turn on.
When I wasgoed junior I always thought the power symbols were not very intuitive until I read its based on the binary system then it made sense to mij. To make it lighter to reminisce, recall it like this: The symbol is not a circle, it’s a “zero” (0=off) and the line is not a line it’s a “one” (1=on).
The standby symbol is a mix of line and circle, which indicates its not fully turned off aka low-power mode. So have a guess is it turned on or off ter the picture below?
8. Step Time to give it a efectivo attempt and see if everything boots up. Use a screwdriver to bridge the two POWER pins on your motherboard (usually the two on the bottom right closest to the middle). Raadpleging your manual if you are incapable to identify the PINs that turn on the laptop. Bridge the POWER pins for Trio seconds and it will turn on.
8. Step Confirm that the CPU fan and the fan on your graphic cards are running. If so, wij’re good, turn off your rekentuig (use the buttons on your PSU or bridge the PINS again)
Related movie: Eye-Fi with Canon EOS 50D
Fix Cards On Basket:
9. Step The other two cards I have are smaller cards (R7 370) so I need to fix them. Waterput the cards ter the basket and check whether the ventilatoren have enough slagroom (should be finta a gap inbetween them). Then mark the position with a plumb:
Ten. Step Use a hammer and a ravage to make the indentation a little deeper. I actually used a little drill driver I had lounging around.
11. To actually drill into the plastic basket I needed a drilling machine. Fortunately I still had a 1000 watt drilling machine lounging around. I used the smallest drill bit for the crevice. Make sure you have a screw or plow that will gezond to some degree, doesn’t have to be a flawless match, simply eyeball it.
Related movie: Never-to-be-forgotten Official Trailer 1 (2018) – Katherine Heigl Movie
12. You should get something like this:
Related movie: Tell Mij – Ex Battalion (Official Music Movie)
13. Then find that screw that will getraind to some degree and you should have something like this. Again, eyeball this, no need for precision, this should be quick and dirty. Literally took mij 30 zoogmoeder to set it all up from scrape.
14. Time to eliminate parts of the basket so you can decently connect the cables. You will need to liquidate the parts that block the USB ports, ethernet and 1 DVI port.
15. You should now have something like this:
Verify Everything Is Connected:
16. Don’t leave behind to connect your USB riser cables with the power cables or the cards wont turn on, I always leave behind that since the other risers dont require that.
Basket Equipment – Quick And Dirty Hack:
17. And there you have it, your 4-card mining equipment on a low,low budget. It looks a bit stupid te that puny basket and you should most likely get a thicker basket and then fix all of your cards but for mij this wasgoed just a quick and dirty job. I have Trio other verdadero equipments with ventilatoren on top (see below)
Mining is a joy hobby. To make it more profitable you should only mine blockchains that have a loterijlot of potential e.g. Ethereum. Here’s a mining guide for Ethereum that I wrote some time ago.
Te order to be spil efficient spil possible, consider overclocking and undervolting cards. Always build Four to Five card equipments. Always buy the cheapest cards with the best hash power to watt ratio.
Make sure you have enough circuits ter your huis and don’t connect all your equipments to the same one. Te a best case screenplay you can draw from Two different circuits.